The nominations for November 2018’s Americas ‘Athlete of the Month’ poll have been announced. The public are invited to vote for their winner via the Americas Paralympic Committee homepage www.americasparalympic.org until Friday (14 November).
Alana Maldonado, Brazil, judo
Rio 2016 silver medallist won her first world title after beating Uzbekistan’s Asian champion Vasila Aliboeva in the women´s up to 70kg final in Odivelas, Portugal.
Mexico women’s wheelchair basketball team
Mexico earned their place at the Lima 2019 Parapan American Games after dominating the Women’s Americas Region Qualifier, beating Guatemala and Chile.
Nick Taylor and David Wagner, USA, wheelchair tennis
Claimed their 11th Doubles Masters title after remaining unbeaten throughout the tournament and dropping just one set in their four matches.
Pilar Jauregui, Peru, badminton
Left as the most decorated player of the Para Badminton Pan American Championships on home soil in Lima after winning the women’s singles, doubles and mixed doubles titles.
Steve Wilson, Bermuda, boccia
Became the first Bermudian Para athlete to win an international boccia title when he took gold at the Buenos Aires Regional Open.
The nominations are compiled from submissions by National Paralympic Committees (NPCs) from across the continent.
The 2018 Americas Athlete of the Month winners are:
• January – Fernando Fuentes, El Salvador, swimming
• February – Brenna Huckaby, USA, snowboard
• March – Cristian Ribera, Brazil, Nordic skiing
• April – Daniela Gimenez, Argentina, swimming
• May – Juan Carlos Garrido, Chile, powerlifting
• June – Francisca Mardones, Chile, athletics
• July – Claudia Romero, Mexico, taekwondo
• August – Euclides Grisales, Colombia, boccia
• September – Giselle Munoz, Argentina, table tennis
• October – Camila Haase, Costa Rica, swimming