Angelica Bernal has been chosen as Americas 'Athlete of the Month' for October after receiving 53 per cent of the public vote.
The Colombian wheelchair tennis player won the Semana Guga Kuerten women’s singles title in Florianopolis, Brazil, after beating Great Britain’s former No. 5 in the world Lucy Shuker 4-6, 6-3, 6-1 in the final.
Chilean wheelchair tennis player Alexander Cataldo ended second with 46 per cent of the votes.
USA’s wheelchair racer Daniel Romanchuk was also nominated.
The nominations were compiled from submissions by National Paralympic Committees (NPCs) from across the continent.
The 2019 Americas Athlete of the Month winners are:
• January – Johanna Sossa and Johana Martinez, Colombia, wheelchair tennis
• February – Rebeca Valenzuela Alvarez, Mexico, athletics
• March – Matias Pino, Chile, table tennis
• April – Daniel Martins, Brazil, athletics
• May – Sherman Guity, Costa Rica, athletics
• June – Luis Flores, Chile, table tennis
• July – Juan Carlos Garrido, Chile, powerlifting
• August (Lima 2019 Best Female Athlete) – Sara Vargas, Colombia, swimming
• August (Lima 2019 Best Male Athlete) – Herbert Aceituno, El Salvador, powerlifting
• August (Lima 2019 Best Team) – Argentinian boccia team
• September – Stefania Ferrando, Argentina, boccia
• October – Angelica Bernal, Colombia, wheelchair tennis