Daniel Giraldo has been chosen as Americas ‘Athlete of the Month’ for December after receiving a staggering 91 per cent of the public vote.
The Colombian swimmer claimed seven golds at the Para National Games in Colombia, rounding off a fantastic year that also saw him taking four Parapan titles in Lima, Peru.
Mexican table tennis player Victor Reyes ended second.
US Nordic skier Kendall Gretsch was also nominated.
The nominations were compiled from submissions by National Paralympic Committees (NPCs) from across the continent.
The 2019 Americas Athlete of the Month winners are:
• January – Johanna Sossa and Johana Martinez, Colombia, wheelchair tennis
• February – Rebeca Valenzuela Alvarez, Mexico, athletics
• March – Matias Pino, Chile, table tennis
• April – Daniel Martins, Brazil, athletics
• May – Sherman Guity, Costa Rica, athletics
• June – Luis Flores, Chile, table tennis
• July – Juan Carlos Garrido, Chile, powerlifting
• August (Lima 2019 Best Female Athlete) – Sara Vargas, Colombia, swimming
• August (Lima 2019 Best Male Athlete) – Herbert Aceituno, El Salvador, powerlifting
• August (Lima 2019 Best Team) – Argentinian boccia team
• September – Stefania Ferrando, Argentina, boccia
• October – Angélica Bernal, Colombia, wheelchair tennis
• November – Francisca Mardones, Chile, athletics
• December – Daniel Giraldo, Colombia, swimming