Juan Carlos Garrido has been chosen as Americas ‘Athlete of the Month’ for July after receiving 49 per cent of the public vote.
The Chilean powerlifter secured bronze in the men’s up to 59kg at the Nur-Sultan 2019 World Championships after clearing the bar at 184kg.
Mexican judoca Lenia Ruvalcaba ended second with 40 per cent of the votes.
The US women’s goalball team, Colombian powerlifter Fabio Torres and Argentinian wheelchair tennis player Gustavo Fernandez were also nominated.
The nominations were compiled from submissions by National Paralympic Committees (NPCs) from across the continent.
The 2019 Americas Athlete of the Month winners are:
• January – Johanna Sossa and Johana Martinez, Colombia, wheelchair tennis
• February – Rebeca Valenzuela Alvarez, Mexico, athletics
• March – Matias Pino, Chile, table tennis
• April – Daniel Martins, Brazil, athletics
• May – Sherman Guity, Costa Rica, athletics
• June – Luis Flores, Chile, table tennis
• July – Juan Carlos Garrido, Chile, powerlifting