The Americas Paralympic Committee (IPC) has revealed the shortlist for Best Team of August based on performances at the Lima 2019 Parapan American Games, and the public can now vote for the winner on the website until Tuesday (22 October).
In lieu of the Americas Athlete of the Month award for August, the honour is being separated into three different categories – Best Female Athlete, Best Male Athlete and Best Team – based on results at Lima 2019.
Colombian 12-year-old swimmer Sara Vargas was named Best Female Athlete, while Salvadoran powerlifter Herbert Aceituno was selected Best Male Athlete.
Brazilian men’s goalball team
Successfully defended the Parapan title after a hard-fought 12-9 victory over USA in the final.
US men´s wheelchair basketball team
Hammered all their opponents on their way to the final, where they convincingly defeated Canada 76-43.
Canadian women’s wheelchair basketball team
In one of the top moments of the Parapan American Games, Canada beat USA 67-64 in the gold medal-match to take revenge from the Toronto 2015 defeat.
Argentinian boccia team
Subsequently beat Mexico 12-0 and Brazil 8-1 to reach the top of the podium in the BC1/BC2 event.
The nominations were compiled from submissions by National Paralympic Committees (NPCs) from across the continent.
The 2019 Americas Athlete of the Month winners are:
• January – Johanna Sossa and Johana Martinez, Colombia, wheelchair tennis
• February – Rebeca Valenzuela Alvarez, Mexico, athletics
• March – Matias Pino, Chile, table tennis
• April – Daniel Martins, Brazil, athletics
• May – Sherman Guity, Costa Rica, athletics
• June – Luis Flores, Chile, table tennis
• July – Juan Carlos Garrido, Chile, powerlifting
• August (Lima 2019 Best Female Athlete) – Sara Vargas, Colombia, swimming
• August (Lima 2019 Best Male Athlete) – Herbert Aceituno, El Salvador, powerlifting