Stefania Ferrando has been chosen as Americas ‘Athlete of the Month’ for September after receiving 51 per cent of the public vote.
The Argentinian boccia player was perhaps the biggest surprise at the America Regional Championships in Sao Paulo by beating home favourites Evani Soares da Silva Calado and Evelyn de Oliveira to take gold in the individual BC3.
Mexican swimmer Diego Lopez Diaz ended second with 48 per cent of the votes.
Colombian swimmer Carlos Serrano, and USA’s cyclist Shawn Morelli and swimmer Leanne Smith were also nominated.
The nominations were compiled from submissions by National Paralympic Committees (NPCs) from across the continent.
The 2019 Americas Athlete of the Month winners are:
• January – Johanna Sossa and Johana Martinez, Colombia, wheelchair tennis
• February – Rebeca Valenzuela Alvarez, Mexico, athletics
• March – Matias Pino, Chile, table tennis
• April – Daniel Martins, Brazil, athletics
• May – Sherman Guity, Costa Rica, athletics
• June – Luis Flores, Chile, table tennis
• July – Juan Carlos Garrido, Chile, powerlifting
• August (Lima 2019 Best Female Athlete) – Sara Vargas, Colombia, swimming
• August (Lima 2019 Best Male Athlete) – Herbert Aceituno, El Salvador, powerlifting
• August (Lima 2019 Best Team) – Argentinian boccia team
• September – Stefania Ferrando, Argentina, boccia