- LATEST TRIUMPHS:
- Rio 2016 Paralympic Games – Silver: epee category B
- 2016 Asian Championships – Gold: epee; Bronze: foil
- 2015 World Championships – Gold: epee
- 2014 Asian Championships – Silver: foil; Bronze: epee, team epee and foil
- 2013 World Championships – Silver: epee; Bronze: team epee
Ali positioned himself for Paralympic gold after showing his strong form at the 2015 World Championships in Eger, Hungary. There, the Iraqi cruised to a 15-5 victory over Belarusian Andrei Pranevich.
Unfortunately the script was flipped at Rio 2016, the epee specialist fell to Pranevich by one point. It was a heart breaking defeat for Ali, who was determined to go for gold after his Paralympic debut at London 2012 where finished sixth.
He showed significant stride since London, taking silver at the 2013 World Championships in Budapest, Hungary before earning the World crown two years later.
Ali picked up the sport in 2008 at 23 years old when he was recommended to try it out. He made his international debut in 2010.