Liesette Bruinsma9 September 2000
- LATEST TRIUMPHS:
- Rio 2016 Paralympic Games – Gold: 400m freestyle and 200m individual medley; Silver:100m breaststroke; Bronze: 50m and 100m freestyle
- 2016 IPC Swimming European Championships – Gold: 400m freestyle, 200m individual medley and 100m breaststroke; Silver: 50m freestyle; Bronze: 100m freestyle
- Related Videos
- Swimming | Women's 50m Freestyle S11 final | Rio 2016 Paralympic Games
- Swimming | Women's 100m Breaststroke SB11 final | Rio 2016 Paralympic Games
- Swimming | Women's 200m IM SM11 final | Rio 2016 Paralympic Games
- Related News
- Swimmers poised to grow their Rio 2016 medal count
- Dias does the triple, Perales wins backstroke gold
- Swimming: Five things we learned at Rio 2016
Part of a group of young visually impaired swimmers to have emerged as major medal contenders in the past two years is Dutch teenager Liesette Bruinsma.
She has certainly put in the legwork, traveling around Europe to compete before arriving at the 2016 European Open Championships for her major international debut.
The hard work paid off and she left the competition with three titles and two more podium finishes.
In 2017 Bruinsma, who was born with her impairment, will get the chance to claim her first world titles in Mexico City from 30 September.