Beijing Organising Committee for the Paralympic and Olympic Winter Games published the Beijing 2022 Paralympic and Olympic Winter Games Sustainability Plan on 15 May.
This plan was developed jointly by the People’s Government of Beijing Municipality, the People’s Government of Hebei Province, and the Beijing 2022. The plan serves as a programmatic document guiding the sustainability work of the Beijing 2022 Games and is being implemented throughout the entire process of the Games.
The sustainability plan reflects the Beijing 2022 mission of being ‘green, inclusive, open and clean’, and the reforms introduced through Olympic Agenda 2020. It is also aligned with the United Nations 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
“The IOC welcomes the publication of the Beijing 2022 Sustainability Plan as it provides a comprehensive framework for the overall sustainability vision of the Olympic Games Beijing 2022,” said Juan Antonio Samaranch, IOC Vice-President and Chair of the Beijing 2022 IOC Coordination Commission.
“The Plan also highlights the fact that the Organising Committee Beijing 2022 is working hand-in-hand with the national and regional authorities to achieve their ambitious sustainability objectives.”
International Paralympic Committee President Andrew Parsons said, “On behalf of the International Paralympic Committee and the whole Paralympic Movement, I would like to congratulate Beijing 2022 and its stakeholders on the publication of the Beijing 2022 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games Sustainability Plan.”
“As a key partner of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals Action Campaign and a signatory of the UN Sports for Climate Action Framework, the IPC applauds all measures that contribute towards the UN 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.”
The plan promotes the Beijing 2022 Games’ sustainability vision of ‘Sustainability for the Future’ and the overall objective of ‘creating a new example for staging events and regional sustainability’, featuring three key themes of ‘Positive Environmental Impact’, ‘New Development for the Region’, and ‘Better Life for the People’.
These three themes are supported by 12 actions, under which there are 37 key tasks and 119 specific measures that cover the environment of the competition zones, regional development, and improvement of well-being for host communities in Beijing and Zhangjiakou.
In alignment with the Beijing 2022 mission, the Sustainability Plan puts forward objectives such as:
- Maximising use of existing venues and facilities and building sustainable venues
- Strengthening regional cooperation to improve the environment and coordinated development in the Beijing-Zhangjiakou region
- Tackling climate change to deliver low-carbon and carbon neutral Games
- Implementing sustainable sourcing and promoting the development of a low carbon circular economy
- Improving public infrastructure, including transportation construction and further development of urban management and accessibility services
- Developing winter sports and tourism industries in the Beijing-Zhangjiakou region cultural tourism belt
- Promoting the commercialisation and implementation of technological achievements in order to foster new areas of economic growth and development
- Improving the living conditions and increasing employment for residents around the competition zones throughout the Games preparations
- Carrying the Olympic spirit forward and promoting winter sports and Chinese culture to foster a positive and healthy society
Many measures in the sustainability plan have already been implemented through Beijing 2022’s Sustainability Management System (SMS) which received ISO 20121 certificate in November 2019. Good progress has also been achieved in environmental, regional and social development.