The 2019 World Para Archery Championships are under a week from now, and here are some quick facts to know about the sport’s biggest competition this year:
1. It will be held in ‘s-Hertogenbosch, Netherlands, from 3-9 June.
2. This quaint historical city in southern Netherlands is also known as Den Bosch and boasts a population of about 150,000 people.
3. The competition programme will feature eight individual medal events.
4.Winners to be determined in the men’s and women’s visually vision impaired, recurve, compound, and W1 categories.
5. In addition to world titles, slots for nations are also up for grabs for the Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games.
6. Qualifications stages will take place 4-7 June, with the finals taking place 8-9 June.
7. Three venues will host the 2019 World Para Archery Championships. Training sessions will be held at Zuiderpark, while The Dukes rugby fields will serve as the site for the qualification stages.
8. The finals will take place at The Parade in the heart of the city’s historical centre. The arena sits at the foot of Saint John’s Cathedral, which dates back to the 14th century. It is a 10-minute walk from the qualification areas at The Dukes.
9. Among the big names expected at the tournament are Paralympic champions Andre Shelby of the USA; and Gholamreza Rahimi of Iran in the men’s events; and Iran’s Zahra Nemati and China’s Zhou Jiamin in the women’s events.
10. In addition to watching the world’s best archers battle for the top prizes, visitors will get a chance to get to know the sport better. There will be a Fanplaza and “Archery2019 Lane” set up between The Parade and The Dukes. These areas will feature an archery exhibit, screens that show movies about archery, a trivia escape room, and stands where guests can try shooting the perfect 10 themselves.
11. The Parade will also host multiple shows and concerts during the World Para Archery Championships, including the largest free jazz festival in the Netherlands.
More information on the World Para Archery Championships are available on the event website.