The nominations for December 2019’s Americas ‘Athlete of the Month’ poll have been announced. The public are invited to vote for their winner via the Americas Paralympic Committee homepage until Thursday (16 January).
DANIEL GIRALDO CORREA, COLOMBIA, SWIMMING
Sealed seven golds at the Para National Games in Colombia, rounding off a fantastic year that also saw him taking four Parapan titles in Lima, Peru.
KENDALL GRETSCH, USA, NORDIC SKIING
Completed a perfect sweep in the biathlon races at the season-opener World Para Nordic Skiing World Cup in Lillehammer, Norway, and was second in all three individual cross-country events.
VICTOR EDUARDO REYES TURCIO, MEXICO, TABLE TENNIS
Followed up his Parapan American title in Lima with another gold in the men’s singles 2 at the Copa Costa Rica after defeating Chilean Luis Flores in the final.
Nominations are compiled from submissions by National Paralympic Committees (NPCs) from across the continent.
The 2019 Americas Athlete of the Month winners are:
• January – Johanna Sossa and Johana Martinez, Colombia, wheelchair tennis
• February – Rebeca Valenzuela Alvarez, Mexico, athletics
• March – Matias Pino, Chile, table tennis
• April – Daniel Martins, Brazil, athletics
• May – Sherman Guity, Costa Rica, athletics
• June – Luis Flores, Chile, table tennis
• July – Juan Carlos Garrido, Chile, powerlifting
• August (Lima 2019 Best Female Athlete) – Sara Vargas, Colombia, swimming
• August (Lima 2019 Best Male Athlete) – Herbert Aceituno, El Salvador, powerlifting
• August (Lima 2019 Best Team) – Argentinian boccia team
• September – Stefania Ferrando, Argentina, boccia
• October – Angelica Bernal, Colombia, wheelchair tennis
• November – Francisca Mardones, Chile, athletics