Francisca Mardones has been chosen as Americas ‘Athlete of the Month’ for November after receiving a staggering 90 per cent of the public vote.
The Chilean field athlete claimed an emotional gold medal days after her father passed away, also achieving the world record in the women’s shot put F54 (8.19).
Colombian field athlete Mauricio Valencia ended second.
Track and field athletes Petrucio Ferreira of Brazil, Kiara Rodriguez of Ecuador and Deja Young of USA were also nominated.
The nominations were compiled from submissions by National Paralympic Committees (NPCs) from across the continent.
The 2019 Americas Athlete of the Month winners are:
• January – Johanna Sossa and Johana Martinez, Colombia, wheelchair tennis
• February – Rebeca Valenzuela Alvarez, Mexico, athletics
• March – Matias Pino, Chile, table tennis
• April – Daniel Martins, Brazil, athletics
• May – Sherman Guity, Costa Rica, athletics
• June – Luis Flores, Chile, table tennis
• July – Juan Carlos Garrido, Chile, powerlifting
• August (Lima 2019 Best Female Athlete) – Sara Vargas, Colombia, swimming
• August (Lima 2019 Best Male Athlete) – Herbert Aceituno, El Salvador, powerlifting
• August (Lima 2019 Best Team) – Argentinian boccia team
• September – Stefania Ferrando, Argentina, boccia
• October – Angélica Bernal, Colombia, wheelchair tennis
• November – Francisca Mardones, Chile, athletics