The nominations for November 2019’s Americas ‘Athlete of the Month’ poll have been announced. The public are invited to vote for their winner via the Americas Paralympic Committee homepage until Thursday (19 December).
Deja Young, USA, athletics
Left the Dubai 2019 World Championships with two gold medals in the women’s 200m T47 and universal 4x100m relay, and silver in the 100m T47.
Francisca Mardones, Chile, athletics
Clinched an emotional gold medal days after her father passed away, also achieving the world record in the women’s shot put F54 (8.19).
Kiara Rodriguez, Ecuador, athletics
Continued to impress at only 16 years old by taking the women’s long jump T47 world title in Dubai thanks to a 5.52 jump.
Mauricio Valencia, Colombia, athletics
Won the men’s javelin F34 with a Championships record throw of 35.25 and took bronze in the shot put.
Petrucio Ferreira, Brazil, athletics
Broke the men’s 100m T47 world record (10.42), setting the fastest mark ever at a World Para Athletics Championships.
Nominations are compiled from submissions by National Paralympic Committees (NPCs) from across the continent.
The 2019 Americas Athlete of the Month winners are:
• January – Johanna Sossa and Johana Martinez, Colombia, wheelchair tennis
• February – Rebeca Valenzuela Alvarez, Mexico, athletics
• March – Matias Pino, Chile, table tennis
• April – Daniel Martins, Brazil, athletics
• May – Sherman Guity, Costa Rica, athletics
• June – Luis Flores, Chile, table tennis
• July – Juan Carlos Garrido, Chile, powerlifting
• August (Lima 2019 Best Female Athlete) – Sara Vargas, Colombia, swimming
• August (Lima 2019 Best Male Athlete) – Herbert Aceituno, El Salvador, powerlifting
• August (Lima 2019 Best Team) – Argentinian boccia team
• September – Stefania Ferrando, Argentina, boccia
• October – Angelica Bernal, Colombia, wheelchair tennis