The nominations for September 2019’s Americas ‘Athlete of the Month’ poll have been announced. The public are invited to vote for their winner via the Americas Paralympic Committee homepage until Tuesday, 5 November.
Carlos Serrano, Colombia, swimming
Had a World Championships to remember after taking a hat-trick of titles in the men’s 100m breaststroke SB7, 100m freestyle S7 and 200m individual medley SM7, and a silver in the 50m butterfly S7.
Diego Lopez Diaz, Mexico, swimming
Completely dominated the S3 class at London 2019 by winning the men’s 50m and 200m freestyle, 50m backstroke and 150m individual medley SM3.
Shawn Morelli, USA, cycling
Was in great form as she stormed to gold in the women’s road race C4 and to silver in the time trial at the Road World Championships in Emmen, Netherlands.
Leanne Smith, USA, swimming
Won three golds in the women’s 150m individual medley SM4, 50m breaststroke SB3 and 100m freestyle S3, and silver in the 50m backstroke S3 at London 2019.
Stefania Ferrando, Argentina, boccia
Was perhaps the biggest surprise at the America Regional Championships in Sao Paulo by beating home favourites Evani Soares da Silva Calado and Evelyn de Oliveira to take gold in the individual BC3.
Nominations are compiled from submissions by National Paralympic Committees (NPCs) from across the continent.
The 2019 Americas Athlete of the Month winners are:
• January – Johanna Sossa and Johana Martinez, Colombia, wheelchair tennis
• February – Rebeca Valenzuela Alvarez, Mexico, athletics
• March – Matias Pino, Chile, table tennis
• April – Daniel Martins, Brazil, athletics
• May – Sherman Guity, Costa Rica, athletics
• June – Luis Flores, Chile, table tennis
• July – Juan Carlos Garrido, Chile, powerlifting
• August (Lima 2019 Best Female Athlete) – Sara Vargas, Colombia, swimming
• August (Lima 2019 Best Male Athlete) – Herbert Aceituno, El Salvador, powerlifting
• August (Lima 2019 Best Team) – Argentinian boccia team