NPC Iceland name new President04.05.2017
Thordur Arni Hjaltested will succeed Svein Aki Luoviksson after two decades.
- Related News
- Fountoulakis re-elected Hellenic Paralympic Committee President
- Rocha Pinto named African Paralympic Committee President
- Canadian Paralympic Committee elect new President
- Eugene Nsabayezu elected Burundi NPC President
- IPC President scoops prestigious award
- Rio 2016 preview: Men’s 200m freestyle S14
- Scandinavian countries come together for Sochi 2014 alpine skiing events
- Iceland stages first Paralympic Day
- Kazakhstan, Iceland reveal Rio 2016 teams
Thordur Arni Hjaltested has been elected as the new President of the National Paralympic Committee (NPC) of Iceland during its General Assembly held in late March.
Hjalstested also served as the Chairman of the Icelandic Teachers and has been on the management team of NPC Iceland since 1986. He will succeed Svein Aki Luoviksson, who received the highest honour from the Sports Association of Disabled People in Iceland after serving as NPC Iceland President since 1996.
NPC Iceland’s new President will be joined by seven other elected members on the board, including Vice President Johann Arnarson.
Hjalstested has a chance to build up Iceland toward the next Games at Tokyo 2020. Iceland sent five athletes to compete at Rio 2016, and improvement compared to one athlete representation from London 2012. Jon Margeir Sverrisson, who won gold from four years ago, was their biggest medal hopeful in Rio but just missed the podium in the men’s 200m freestyle S14.